Homemade Christmas ornaments bring life and personality to your tree. These are a few of my favorite homemade Christmas ornaments from my tree. A few were made by my mom and a few by me. You and your children can help to bring your spirit to the spirit of Christmas using these ideas:
Hand-wrapped Christmas Balls
These Christmas balls are a perfect for kids to help create. You can match your existing decor colors or can let your kids be creative and show their own preferences and personality through their ornaments.
- Styrofoams balls (any size)
- Thick paper-based rafia
- Spray glitter
- Push pins
2. Unwrap a thicker paper-based rafia and using Elmer's glue, secure it to your ball. You can use several different colors of rafia or just one.
3. When finished wrapping the ball, use spray glitter to give it a little bit of shine.
4. Then attach a ribbon to the top using a simple push pin.
The project is easy enough that each person can quickly make several.
This ornament ends up looking cute and attaches to your tree without needing a way to hang it.
- Old-fashioned wooden clothespins
- Craft Paint (red, black, pink, silver). Can also use sharpies for the black and silver portions
- Snowtex textured paint
2. Paint the clothespin red, leaving a blank space for Santa's face, and wait for it to dry.
3. Use textured paint for the white portions of the hat and the beard. This can also be found at most craft stores.
4. Create the belt, and face using red, black silver and pink paint.
5. The clothespin then just pins straight to the branches of your tree.
Reindeer and Snowman Spools
These ornaments take minimal painting, but give a look of hours of work.
- Wooden spools (can be purchased at most craft stores)
- Craft paint (white, black, pink, orange)
- Pom poms
- Brown foam
1. The base is made from small wooden thread spools. To create the snowman, paint a white base coat and allow to dry. The reindeer spool does not need a base coat.
2. Paint (or use a Sharpie) to create your character's faces.
3. Create the reindeer's antlers using crafting foam and the snowman's earmuffs with pom poms and wire. Use hot glue to attach other embellishments like bells, pom poms and felt.
4. Attach a string to the top of each spool using hot glue or tying it onto the wire on the snowman to hang from your tree.